Monday, June 15, 2009

Appreciating the simple beauty

I couldn't help but think of Gene Weingarten's Pulitzer Prize-article winning today while I was in Chicago.

After taking the 9:06 a.m. South Shore train from Hegewisch to the Randolph station, I hit the street of the Loop a full hour before an 11 a.m. job interview. This has happened plenty of times so far this month. I have to take an early train to ensure that I make my job interview on time, leaving me with plenty of time to, well, walk the streets.

Most times, I will stroll around from block to block, no destination in mind, but with the purpose of simply watching people. During the work week, it's astonishing to see how robotic we can be. There's almost an intrinsic need to get from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, but for no particular reason. Americans, simply, are in a rush to go nowhere.

I experienced the inverse of this today, though. Unlike Weingarten's article, I was able to witness people who were thoroughly enjoying their day, people who were appreciating the beauty around them.

After hitting Michigan Avenue, I immediately went to Millennium Park and found an area with a decent amount of foot traffic. I sat on a well-shaded bench amidst a slowly cumulating crowd. For the next 40 minutes, I saw numerous people enjoying the 75-degree day. A dad was holding the hand of his very young daughter, staring at the shrubery as they walked past. An elderly man with his arm draped around his presumed wife slowly sauntered by, vividly talking about how great the weather finally is. Two women sat two benches down from me and talked. The simplicity of taking a break and conversation. It was great to see.

It's all too easy for us to freak out at every article we read in the news during this "frightening" recession. We have to worry about keeping our job, finding a job, saving up for next month's mortgage, the results of doctor visits and everything in between. But really, we have it pretty good here.

And really, we're not that busy. Take the time to enjoy the world before you kick the bucket.

Video of the Day: This guy's acrobatics and sheer physicality will make your day a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment